A garbage disposal is a great convenience, but they require a little extra maintenance to prevent odors, clogs or other plumbing mishaps. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® can install or repair your garbage disposal and make sure your system runs smoothly.
Because garbage disposals involve a mechanical piece of equipment and is ultimately tied to your sanitary sewer or septic tank system, plumbing problems may occur.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance
Have a foul odor coming from your garbage disposal? Foul odors can occur from a buildup of food debris within the disposal. Take these steps to eliminate the odors:
- With the disposal running, introduce ice cubes and orange or lemon rinds in the disposer for about 30 seconds.
- Avoid dumping food waste into the disposal. As a rule, if you can scoop it in your hand, you should place this refuse in the garbage can.
- Flush remaining debris with hot water.
Garbage Disposal Repair
In the event your disposal breaks down, check the reset button. The garbage disposal has an overload protector that senses if the motor is overheating and shuts it off. If your disposal cuts off during operation, this may be the cause. Try resetting the disposal to correct the problem:
- Turn the disposal switch off. Be sure to consult and follow the manufacturer's instructions when resetting your disposal.
- Do not put hands or objects down the disposal opening.
- Make sure the appliance is plugged in securely at the outlet.
- With the power switch turned off, press the reset switch on the front or bottom of the garbage disposal.
- Restart the disposal by turning on the power switch.
If resetting doesn't remedy the problem, contact your local plumber at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for assistance. We can install, repair and help you maintain your garbage disposal for years of use. Give us a call today!
Common disposal issues:
- Disposal doesn’t grind properly but motor keeps humming
- Noises are noticeably louder than usual
- Disposal starts to run but shuts off before you turn it off
- Leaks found below the disposal
- Water pools in sink area
- Disposal oder
- Clogged disposal
Services vary by location. Call for details.
Find Your Local Benjamin
Franklin Plumbing® Team
- Request an appointment
- Get local phone numbers and company details
- View local offers and coupons
- View local services